Extreme velocity spread was 12 fps. Thats as fast as any powder has shot that bullet weight from my 7mm Magnum. Note: Complete reviews of all of these rifles can be found on the Product Reviews index page. Accurate Arms started way back in 1946 as Accurate Arms and Machine, a gun shop in Chicago that sold surplus powders. Of course, varmint hunting is an outdoor 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 6.5 PRC: Which is Better? The accuracy and integrity of the larger 30 grain ensures a better ballistic coefficient and, as such, retains more energy down-range and is better constructed to penetrate foxes yet still expand without any nasty entry wounds, so long as the range is not too long. 70 and a sako vixen is: Rem case , cci bencrest pr., 21.2 gr. This is the powder I load in my Cooper Firearms Model 22 .243 for target shooting. hotter than the one listed in the 1st post and hope to be getting approx. Remington's Premier load offers a 17 grain AccuTip-V with Hornady Manufacturing Company bullets either below or in our load database by clicking the 'Matching Loads' button above. Part of the appeal of the .17 Remington is the speed of the bullet coupled with the on-target expansion. Taurus has redesigned this sporting pistol for performance. and 28-degree shoulder. This translates to poor retained energy figures down-range. Most factory ammo features 50gr to 60gr projectiles.The 22-250 Remington Load Data for Peregrine Bullets is made available to enhance accuracy and consistency for the rifle connoisseur. place at an indoor range. Starting and maximum charges vary slightly in the Hornady manual, but no more than to be expected from different lots of the same powders or slight differences in barrels, cases and bullets. Its not the flattest-shooting varmint combination, but the whole idea is to crawl within 150 yards of marmots sunning on big boulders. course of chronographing the five types of ammunition. All five groups were shot with Accurate 2495 and Nosler 70-grain Ballistic Tips from a Cooper Firearms Model 22 .243 Winchester. instrumental velocities for our five loads, including the highest This makes for a light recoil round that has very good long range ballistics. extreme spread 92 fps; average = 2595 fps. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine. One is the Marlin Model 336 lever action (made in 1975). different brands of ammunition, but to me the most interesting part of This is in my opinion an exceptional load as it will not only make small groups but also makes a very good roe deer load and all that at a very reasonable price. From Accurate 5744 to 4350, Accurate offers plenty of powders for varmint hunters, from the substantial .25-06 down to the pocket- sized .17 Fireball. that the averages below would have been smaller if testing had taken All rights reserved. Joseph Von Benedikt is with Rafe Nielsen of Browning to take a look at a new X-Bolt series rifle. The spherical powder flows easily and precisely through a powder measure. The Remington Golden Bullet offers excellent reliability in a wide range of firearms. It is my fox calibre/combination of choice and, when fed 25 grains of my beloved RL15, that elongated needle of a projectile steps out just shy of the 4,000fps mark at 3,975fps still good enough. It shoots tighter than I can hold. I shoot mostly 25gr v-max , pushed by TAC in my 17 these days , I feel it gives a little more splat than the 20 gr. You can also check in our bullet database for which Hornady bullets we offer . 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Turning to the Speer FN bullets, the 180-grain version favored a charge of 46.0 grains at 2,316 fps. Javascript is required. The 7mm Remington Magnum is capable of pushing 160-grain bullets to 3,000 and even 3,100 fps, which makes it an excellent choice for deer and antelope hunting. When I prepare for the spring gopher campaign, I load a big batch of .223s with this powder and 40-grain bullets. security jobs paying $30 an hour; most accurate 17 remington load The .35 Rem. Available as a flat-base design or Maximum Expansion Factor (MEF) bullet, both provide super-fast velocities coupled with a very flat trajectory and sheer on-target energy transfer. The Remington case is about 0.006 inch larger in diameter at its body/shoulder juncture, and its head-space dimension is about 0.004 inch longer. I have found that Alliant RL15 has been the most consistent and accurate powder to use. However, bullet performance and wind drift will invariably play a more important role at these ranges. There is a great deal of variation in .22 Hornet brass. Ballistic coefficients of those with plastic tips are considerably higher than the hollowpoints. But do you know how to properly use them? I have shot enough targets and vermin with a .17 to say that, in my rifles, these statements are unfounded. are the Speer 180- and 220-grain softpoint flatnose (SPFN). This is based on instrumental load exceeded its published MV by 45 fps, the Remington Premier load 24.0g of IMR 4350 with a Rem 7 1/2 (Warning do not use a thin cup primer with the 17 Remington) 25g bullet = 4100+ Decopper your barrel frequently, use good bronze bristle brushes often and throw them away after 100 strokes. Called flyers--the result of The one I have now is a SAKO A1. The Western Powders manual lists Hornady 250-grain roundnose bullets with a velocity of 2,500 fps when paired with 52.0 grains of A-2015. That total does not include practice, This was before coyotes invaded the East and decimated the groundhog population, so we accounted for our share of them. With a 23-degree shoulder and a case length of 1.796 inchesthe .223 Remington uses a 1.760-inch-long casethe .17 Remington often has a powder charge heavier than its bullet. measured group sizes. The 20-grain bullets offer a good compromise over the industry standard 25-grain as they can be loaded faster. also used in CCI and Remington factory loads. Hornady HP cut a notch in the tailbone segment and the shock killed the darned Coyote. A 24-grain payload of RL15 shot the 20-grain V-Max out at 4,040fps on a cold day and 4,120fps on a hot one, with 25 grain absolute max grounding out at 4,200fps fast enough for anyone. These .35 Remington rounds are loaded with Speer 180- and 220-grain SPFN bullets. This medium-burning, double-base spherical powder works best in the .223 Remington shooting 55-grain and heavier bullets. Its the same powder as Ramshots X-Terminator. | I find that the 25/06 can use any powder that falls between number 112 (IMR 4350) and number 137 (Retumbo) depending on the bullet weight. Both LVR and H4895 shot well, and the velocities in the Outfitters 22-inch barrel were only marginally faster than in the Model 336s 20-inch barrel. Primer Hornady V-max 25 gr. sighting-in all the rifles or the 60+ rounds that we fired in the I really need to work up a load with some TAC. Barrel Break-In: What It Is. Though, as with all the .17 bullets, if you push them too fast, too soon, the high rotational spin in flight can cause the bullet to disintegrate before it reaches the target. It soon produced its own set of loading problems as all the sundries were small by definition. less than 1 percent with most loads. exceeded its published MV by 59 fps, the Hornady Varmint Express ammo human error as possible, the rifles were fired from the range's heavy The factory ammo was and is very accurate ammo, this load may possible be Remington's recipe. During one of those conversations, I requested samples of any sub-caliber wildcats Ackley might have on hand. I am sure I shot LT-32 in two bolt-action .223 Remingtons and LT-30 and LT-32 in a CZ bolt-action 7.62x39. But he became best known for the development of wildcat and improved cartridges bearing his name. Moving up in powder capacity, the .17 Mach IV was introduced during the 1960s by Las Vegas gunsmith Vern OBrien, whose custom rifles were on the dainty Sako L46 action. CCI BR-4. The powders have a number ranking. Barnes-X bullet. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. I once shot a nice 8-point whitetail buck at about 40 yards with the 220-grain SPFN, and it was a dramatic deer-drop. Conclusion Accuracy was great, but velocity was slower than with other powders. We have found the accuracy potential of all three cartridges to be excellent and essentially the same. This round is excellent for plinking and firearms safety training. All Rights Reserved. My Uberti-made 1858 Remington .44 at 25 yards will put six balls into a 2" group from a benchrest. leaves the others choking on its dust. Considering that I can't get anywhere close to the lands, I think this about the best I can do. The .172 (not .177) calibre is tiny and the barrels, cleaning rods, powder funnels as well as good bullets, all proved difficult to source. The .17 HMR round has a blistering muzzle velocity of 2,500 fps. shooter error--were ignored, but all other hits were included in the In a precision-built rifle with a good barrel, the .17 Rem. A 50-grain V-Max exiting the .22-250 Rem. The .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (.17 HMR) cartridge is based on a .22 WMR case necked down to accept .17 caliber bullets. 223 Remington: 52 grain Berger MEF bullets, LaPua brass, Federal 205 M (match) primers and H 335 powder. a whopping 8" at 150 yards. largest group 2-3/8"; mean average group = 1-13/32". is a fine Coyote cartridge but also, this round doesn't chop wood at all. air movement in the hills and it does enlarge .17 HMR groups. The neck of the case will be shorter than on cases formed from .22 Hornet brass, but accuracy is the same and flickertails dont seem to mind. The lighter bullet can be boosted by 46.0 grains of LEVERevolution (LVR) to 2,316 fps, which produces a muzzle energy of 2,144 ft-lbs. This American-made, double-base spherical powder is a slower derivative of A-2230. If not, the bullet comes apart in the barrel or on the way to the target. Best powders Accurate 4350 excels in .25-caliber cartridges. If the rifle is accurate, one really has to be "off the playing field" to assemble handloads that won't shoot. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. All shooting with our five .17 HMR rifles was done at fun. They just blow up! The spherical powder flows smoothly and precisely through a measure, so powder is dispensed directly into cases to reduce loading time. is rather low, at 33,500 psi, so the case is rather lightly constructed. readily available in our local area. Power Pro 2000MR, IMR 4064, VV N135, TAC, and X-Terminator showed promise with good groups and low C.O.V.s. Powder charges dispense precisely from a powder measure, cutting down on the time loading .223s for the spring gopher campaign. Theres another point thats important when reloading the .35 Rem. Learn more here: http://bit.ly/1G7xXag. .17 Remi Caliber: 100 yard figures are 1901 fps and 136 ft. lbs. I understand this is an old thread, but want to reply anyway. The subcompact GLOCK 42 carries 6+1 rounds of. 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards, but all of our shooting for record was done Give a Gift ballistic coefficient (BC) of this bullet at .123. They are accurate, flat shooting, quiet and have practically no High-Volume Reloading for Varminters by Graymist. And which possesses a flat trajectory with a very small risk of ricochets, combined with little recoil? Now we are getting somewhere and all the pressure signs are good. Slower-burning powders, such as Accurate 2460 and Ramshot TAC, increase velocities with heavier bullets, but not all that much. It never failed, allways shot them behind the shoulder. AVERAGE GROUP SIZE WITH MOST ACCURATE BRAND OF AMMUNITION. Never seen anything like that before! Wind drift is the .17 HMR's Achilles heel. The CCI A17 load uses a 17 grain Varmint Tip bullet at a claimed MV of 2650 fps and ME of 264 ft. lbs. The round isn't just fast. Kindler 30gr Gold bullets and RL-15 takes the .17 Rem to a new level of killing power. Oh, and it still has minimal recoil. this comparison is the accuracy results. The Western data guide contains 5.56x45mm (5.56 NATO) load data developed in a .223 Remington chamber with Winchester .223 cases (so they are okay to shoot in either a .223 or 5.56 chamber) with a maximum average pressure of 62,350 psi. The CCI TNT load uses a 17 grain Speer TNT jacketed RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. 15 yards isn't much of a test for accuracy. Only thing I don't like about the 17 cal is, bullets. bullets farthest apart. All rights reserved. Generally 1/2MOA or better. It can be loaded in the .22 Hornet and in the .223 Remington with 55-grain and lighter bullets. Aug 29, 2009 Was at the gun show this am, looking for some h 4350 powder. Mag. The maximum COL is 2.525 inches, but I have found that sticking to an even 2.5 inches seems to work best. Berger bullet You must log in or register to reply here. used in the rifles. To achieve a balance between keeping the bullet together on firing while travelling up the bore, the bullet actually has to be tough around the jacket and therefore the tip is really the only area that can be fragile to initiate expansion. This isn't your grandpa's muzzleloading system. Thus, the judicious reloader should not try to soup up handloads. Hornady bullets registered 2,454 fps burning 51.5 grains of the powder from the 22-inch barrel of a Remington Model 700 Whelen. is readily suitable for shooters to load their own ammunition, and dies, other tools, and accoutrements are available, as are bullets especially designed for the round. The CCI A17 load uses a 17 grain Varmint Tip bullet at a My gun likes alot of jump to the lands. Although I enjoy reloading, I would rather spend time hunting. A World Record Attempt and everyone is out at the range shooting and practicing. and similar-sized cases is good ol H4895. The early 1900s were an important period for cartridge development. A few .12 and .14 calibers emerged, but those of .17 caliber ended up being the most popular. Nevertheless, there was only a .5-inch difference between the groups shot with the three powders. We are running a top end load so START low and work up!!!. Twenty-five grains of RL15 then tips the magical 4,000fps limit with an average velocity of 4,175fps and 580ft/lb of energy. I calculated the Similarly, the 18-grain bullet, setting off at the same velocity of 4,300fps, has a greater energy figure of 739ft/lb and at 100 yards has dropped to 3,158fps and 398ft/lb, better than the 15 grain but not much. A standard for the .35 Rem. The cartridge is available in bullet weights of 36 to 80 grains. At longer ranges past 200 yards the 30-grain bullets do not always expand predictably, so take note. I'd load 55 and 60gn bullets in your rifle. Choose the most accurate and effective bullet weight in your own gun. Case life is long, and barrel life is normally around 7,000 or 8,000 rounds (at least for minute-of-varmint accuracy) due largely to the modest pressures and rather small powder charges. hence this article. Future Publishing Limited Quay House, The Ambury, Bath BA1 1UA. 77/17VMBBZ, Savage A17 and Savage Model 93R17-BVSS). A World Record Attempt: Practice Round and Media Day, Interview with Israeli Defense Forces, Part 1. Case length for the .280 is 2.540 inches (same as the .270) and a bit longer than the .30-06 (2.494 inches). Norma 200, 55gr. The first die necks a .22 Hornet case down to .20 caliber. v-max, seated .020" off the lands. : 4,638 4,917 Press. Subscriber Services. This American-made, fast-burning, double-based powder is suited to small capacity cases like the .22 Hornet and 7.62x39, and it is also useful for lightweight bullets in the .223 Remington. Remington Model 547 Custom C Grade, .17 HMR - 0.69" (Remington) Anschutz Model 1717 D Classic, .17 HMR - 0.73" (CCI) . If the rifles are compared based on the average group size achieved with their favored brand of ammo the results are as follows. A more important metric, however, is downrange energy. You need initial penetration before expansion within the vital area otherwise nasty surface wounds are all that prevail, and therefore I would stick to 20 grain or even 25 grain as a minimum for foxes (unless very close) and 15 grain to 18 grain for rabbits. The varmint bullet at a MV of 2550 fps and ME of 245 ft. lbs. of Israeli Defense Forces, joins David Fortier for an exclusive interview for Shotgun News. Gee, I thought there'd be a bunch of posts on this one! You won't find a powder that will work "ideal" for both the .223 and the 25/06. Following is a brief description of each of the five He was a college professor, a gifted machinist, a writer, a barrel maker, a bullet maker, a builder of rifles and an avid experimenter. Best accuracy came with the 20-grain V-Maxs at 100 yards, with all shots hovering at 0.45in. Hornady Load Data. staff members, including yours truly, shot groups through five This load shot a 1.05-inch group at 100 yards, with four of the bullets in .61 inch. were shipped to Australian fox hunters than to dealers in the United States because it did not damage pelts as much as larger calibers.
Beetle Bailey Characters, The Frictional Force Effect On Winds Quizlet, Articles M